AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

OT - Ireland
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Oliver1
Posted 10/30/2006 09:24 (#56457 - in reply to #56180)
Subject: RE: OT - Ireland

Alton, Ia
We went 10 years ago, we had a wonderful time. Wife wants to return every year, I keep thinking we'll do it when we get these loans paid off, then I go buy something else and get another loan, you know how it is.

We went for 9 days in late June, flew home on July 2. June is (was) considered the low season for tourism stuff, so it was quite a bit cheaper, and weather was pretty good we thought. Flew to Dublin, first night there, down the East cost to Tralee, Waterford factory, Blarney castle, etc. Then to Killarney 4 nights I think. Have "in-law" relatives there, visited with them, toured the country there. It was beautiful country. There is a day trip called the ring of Kerry, around the Kerry peninsula, neat scenery. Up to Galway, couple days there, back to Dublin couple more, including touring the Guinness brewery, then home. Entire time drove ourselves stayed in bed and breakfast places. It was a great trip. The people were very, very friendly, helpful, and accommodating.

My understanding is Ireland has gone through a great economic expansion the last 10 years, so I hope they've been able to prosper and keep the culture, it's a challenge.

Back then we booked it through a travel agent. After visiting with the B&B owners, we could have saved 30-40% going to them directly. Now days, do it over the web. I wish when I had gone I had lined up some visits to farms there, just to see how they do it. Maybe there are farm groups forming tours you can get in on. (Or maybe us Agtalk junkies should for a tour group! Now there's an idea I will probably regret someday.)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)