AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

run 1 big airdrill or 2 small units - pros and cons
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Rosco
Posted 10/30/2006 00:24 (#56399 - in reply to #56044)
Subject: RE: run 1 big airdrill or 2 small units - pros and cons

Galahad, Alberta
Where are you at? 500hp for 54 feet seems excessive, but I guess you know your soils. We are on clay loam soils and usually start about april 25 seeding peas. Around "here" 7 hp/foot is usually enough. We are a bit "over tractored" (8960 on 39' of flexi-coil with a 2320 tank) but my cousins run a CIH 440 STX tripled up with 42" rubber, and pull a 64' bourgault MRB with the 6550 tank. We don't have huge hills in this area and he doesn't travel very fast, but they cover a lot of ground in a day. I have to agree with most of the posters and say stay with one big machine. I've noticed in no-till that are usually more seeding hours in a day then there are good spraying hours in a day. Let one guy concentrate on seeding, one guy on spraying and being gofer, and you'll get more done. And in reference to getting stuck, as Jon Hagen refered to, with a bigger air drill the tractor is that much further away from the low spot, and actually your chances of bogging down are decreased. And with a newer, bigger tank you will get a bigger, faster fill auger. I don't know if you use a semi for filling but we have found with our 3 compartment tridem trailer that seeding sure goes a lot smoother. Haul more, less vehicles to move.
One thing that I have learned in my short time on this earth, the newer stuff is, and the less of it that you have to have to get the job done, the better off you are.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)