AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My 510 delimma......or as far as that goes, any Disk Ripper
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

trakman
Posted 3/1/2009 10:15 (#627291)
Subject: My 510 delimma......or as far as that goes, any Disk Ripper

Central Kansas
Looking for a tool that will work in my situation. I'm about 70% wheat and 30% Milo and beans. In the wheat stubble, short of a match or moboard plow, I want something that on the first trip after harvest will knock down and bury enought stubble that after a rain and things green up, one trip with the tandem disk will incorporate the rest of the stubble so that a field cultivator can be the final preperation before drilling. Will a disk ripper do what I want it to in this senario? Seems like it takes at least 2, maybe 3 diskings(if you have real heavy straw) to get things manageable for a field cultivator.

Going to look at a 510 JD machine and other than the wider disk spaceing(9in. versa my 7 1/2in. tandem disk) and having ripper shanks, I question how much difference in stubble incorporation there will be between the 2.
Have a neighbor that pulls one after wheat harvest and it appears to "blacken" the ground. somewhat...but he can pull it faster than I'll be able to, plus, he has small wing tips for points. The machine I'm looking just has standard points.(plain)

Give me your thoughts on this situation. Might add that I have pulled a "soilsaver" with 4in. twisted shovels and it does a nice job BUT have problems with all the trash. In this situation, I disk first, run the soilsaver but have to disk again to get it workable for a field cultivator.

Need some ideas. Sorry for being soooo long winded.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)