AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

TV/Satelite machinery
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ltfire
Posted 3/1/2009 00:03 (#627086 - in reply to #627067)
Subject: RE: TV/Satelite machinery

North Central Iowa

Radio waves and tv waves are transmitted in the clear and are intended for use by anyone with the equipment.  Subscription satellite tv is encrypted in an attempt to keep anyone without the properly paid subscription from using the waves illegally.  I believe that it is also illegal in Canada, but I don't know that for sure.  Regardless, how is this different from stealing another company's products, other than the risk of being caught and prosecuted is significantly less?  Whether you like the satellite companies and their subscription tactics or not, they are providing a product to their subscribers for a fee, and you are enjoying their product free of charge by bypassing the encryption that they use.  If it's freely available and completely legal as you contend, then why do the companies that sell the equipment sell it unactivated where you have to go online and download the files and flash the memory to make it work for that purpose?  They may tell you how to do it and where to find the files, but I haven't seen a reputable company with a storefront selling receivers ready-to-go with the memory already capable of receiving paid satellite programming.  I know some guys that do it and it's a choice a person can make for themselves, but don't try and convince me that it's legal.

Mike

Edited by Ltfire 3/1/2009 00:06
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)