AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

tell me about a Cat 3126
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

CATGUY
Posted 2/24/2009 20:40 (#621506 - in reply to #621463)
Subject: RE: tell me about a Cat 3126

Iowa
Dave, your right about a 3116 being expensive for the "overhead" because it was an all mechanical engine(timing, synchronization, fuel settings, intake and exhaust). The 3126 Truck engine is a Hydraulic actuated, electronic unit injector engine(has a computer). It uses high pressure engine oil to create the pressure to inject the fuel. The top end adjustments are only intake and exhaust valves (20-25 minutes). I like the 3126 for a small engine. It has a typical oil leak over at the oil filter base/oil cooler gaskets, but CAT has new gaskets for this and they are working pretty well. People/companies that try to run extended oil change intervals have problems with the oil control valves(for the high pressure pump) because debris scores up this precision valve and then it doesn't work properly. (Penske leasing goes 22,000-25,000 mile on their oil changes, and their oil looks like crap, thus they have their share of problems). The biggest problem I have with ANY small diesel engine(parent bore=no liners), is that, when there is a cylinder/piston problem ,one must pull the entire engine, teardown completely, sent to the machine shop for a sleeve OR six sleeves, then rebuild. This makes the repair dollar amount rise somewhat quickly. I don't see this expensive repair much in the 3126 series.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)