AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

White 5100 planters / Ed Winkle
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ed Winkle
Posted 2/21/2009 14:20 (#617456 - in reply to #617309)
Subject: Re: White 5100 planters / Ed Winkle

Martinsville, Ohio
I have a White 5100 and preparing to replace openers, scrapers, tires, RK products gauge wheel arm kits, and closing/press wheel setup. good

I have very heavy, black clay, sticky gumbo soils. The OE single press wheels are not adequate. Tried a set of RID tires on two rows, and the lifting action of the soil really harmed seed placement. In my soils, any soil disturbed quickly dries out. So likely will stay with the JD style tires, or the narrow wheel/tire setups from Shoups. Also, I am concerned that the Martin closing wheels will fling out mud, and disturb the seed. Will the White single press wheel prevent the Martins pulling sticky soil from the seed zone? You need the lifting action without the seed movement, You need something like http://www.jsaginnovations.com/planter-seed-shoe-main.html seed shoe or seed tube protector. You can build your own. The spiked wheels run off the same axle bolt on mine and the rubber runs in the middle.

Your soil sounds low in Ca high in Mg and high in OM. Ought to break apart better. Cover crops really help.

Years ago, I put Keetons on 1/2 of my planter, and they just became a ball of mud; so I cut them off. Now thinking of new ones with Mojo wires. Otherwise, maybe a set of White firming-closing wheel setups (was an option for White 5100's), with the three wheels, if I can find them. If so, may try to replace the angled wheels with Martins, Curvetines, Thompsons, or MayWes closing wheels if they will fit. I am concerned of flinging out mud, so leaning toward Curvetines or Maywes.

Cut of Keeton is the best. Would like to see the seed firming wheel work but we are notilling wet soils and don't see out it would outperform a Keeton. Replace what angled wheel? Spikes run at an angle and 2 1/2 inch apart at the bottom of the teeth. Others just roll on the ground and don't till and have no useful purpose.

If not the White firming/closing assemblies, maybe Keetons/Mojo wires + Curvetines or Maywes closing wheels, if I can find assemblies to replace or work with the White single press wheel. Leaning toward the Curvetines, but saw someone mention of the Curvetines plugging, so I wish to learn more.

Ed Winkle, I saw in an earlier post, you put on 15" opener discs instead of the 13.5" ones. Being larger, I assume the OE cast scraper, that runs ahead of the seed tube, does not extend to the bottom of the new opener discs. Did you find a longer scraper, or a way to lower the original equipment one? T.I

The increased scraper heighth hasn't hurt me. You would have to modify for your conditions.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)