AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

drones
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 2/24/2019 06:46 (#7340487 - in reply to #7340397)
Subject: RE: drones

Chebanse, IL.....

Robert...good answer.
Planes & satellites are taking pictures constantly, of your place, mine, and everyone else's. USDA was hiring small planes to photo back in the '50s. Though they were up @ 3-4000', they were still photographing specific farms and crops annually without anyone's permission.

However, every drone publication and drone OM I've read cautions many times about invading personal property rights. It's just not good PR. What may be legal may cause trouble. It's not acceptable to create a nuisance, though that may be hard to define from a 3rd person view. Often farmers think that civilian vehicles going down country roads are a nuisance. Drivers of those cars often think that farmers on tractors on that same road are a nuisance. Who's wrong?

If it's a human occupied building site, then I don't think it's a good idea without permission to take photos with a drone. Also...what photos? still or video? What is happening with the photos? Will the operator use them for any specific reason? Will he try to sell you a picture of your farmstead? If it's a "bare 80" out in nowhere, it shouldn't be a big deal if you're not personally setting foot on the property or trespassing. Certificated aircraft may also be flying over that same farm taking photos. What would you do about them? RPG? The drone is easier to complain about because you can usually spot the ground vehicle & drone operator & unload on him/her if you wish. It's harder to catch a 172 pilot that may fly 250 miles back to his/her home base after taking pictures.

Don't folks come by everyone's farm & try & sell them photos of their own buildings & farms? Was that tolerated? Though most of their products are over-priced, I haven't heard of any of them being shot for flying over a farm, or around it.

If you look close @ the photo below you'll see a 16 yr old kid standing in front of the tool shed, holding his arm up to shield from looking into the sun, wondering what the heck an airplane was doing circling. Drones were unheard of outside of military in '65, so it was an airplane @ less than 500'. Little did that kid realize that less than 9 yrs later he'd be flying one of those planes taking photos.

(1965 home farm 8x10 b&w scan enh (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1965 home farm 8x10 b&w scan enh (full).jpg (188KB - 118 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)