AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

"Special" gear oil
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Where Can I find?????Message format

WildBuckwheat
Posted 8/18/2018 09:19 (#6935913 - in reply to #6935834)
Subject: RE: "Special" gear oil

Middlesex County, Ontario
What is the application?

If it is something like a bandsaw that is low use and simple then I would not spend a very long time searching for AGMA 8 oil. By simple I mean the only bronze parts are the worm gear and maybe some bushings, no brass syncros or anything like that. Simple things often have one recommended oil, but a pile of different oils that fit that application.

AGMA 8 is thick, like 140 SAE thick or ISO 680 thick. Mobil shc 634 or mobil shc 636. That would be a great oil to use. It is safe for bronze worm gears, the correct viscosity, and is a popular enough brand that you should be able to find some locally.

GL4 and GL5 oils generally contain EP additives. EP additives attach themselves to metals and provide a better wear surface. This is great for steels. It is not great for yellow metals as the EP bond is so strong that yellow metals get peeled off their surface. The sulfur additives make this problem worse as it slightly pits the metal, giving EP an even better chance to adhere. GL4 has less EP additive than GL5. I wouldn't use GL5 for this application, maybe GL4 if I really couldn't find anything else.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)