AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

new versus old tractors?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Nathan ECMN
Posted 10/5/2006 10:19 (#48911 - in reply to #48800)
Subject: Re: new versus old tractors?

Massey has a 4xx series of tractors that are in the 35 to 90 hp and they are a very simple straight forward design and built in todays shop and with the simpicity of the late '60's and early '70's. I have a neighbor that has one and I think there will be one on this farm fairly soon.

The bells and whistles of a new machine are nice but will we be able to fix them and get parts for them in 20 years? Just look at a compeuter that is more than 5 years old and the store tells you to get a new one instead of fix it because is is so outdated. I fear that these $100,000 tractor and $225,000 combines won't be as plentiful in 20 years as the 20- 30 year old machines are now. Maybe I'm wrong but I think the manufactures should look at some small class combines, nobody makes a class 4 and very few class 5. There are a lot of small farmers that like the independence of their own machine even if their bottom line isn't as low as it could be if it were custom harvested. I hope these don't disapear in the next 20 years.

Nathan
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)