AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hardware Issues, Pics included
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Dustin Mason
Posted 10/3/2006 23:18 (#48555)
Subject: Hardware Issues, Pics included

Inwood, WV
So, there I was last night, ready to retire when I heard a rather loud SNAP. About ten minutes later I heard another SNAP. A cursory examination of assets revealed no imminent fire danger, or impending roof collapse so off to bed I went.
Well, this evening I go to turn my computer on, and after about five seconds of that, it shut itself back off. Went through this 3 or 4 times and realized I was losing this battle, so I disassembled my computer.
The plastic thingie that holds the heat sink over the main chip or what ever that is, snapped off at the tabs. There was the source of the noise.
That seems easily replaceable, but does my computer know the heat sink is missing and therefore shuts itself off?
Or do I have another (related?) problem causing the computer to shut itself off after five or so seconds?
With the side of the computer removed, I plugged it in and powered it up just long enough to see if all the fans came on. They did.

The computer was turned off last night when the bracket tabs snapped, it is a 3+ year old, 2350 Dell, Windows XP, with a Pentium 4, if that makes any difference.
I suspect the hard drive is OK, the first two or three times it started in its usual manner, the last time it went to safe mode and wanted me to choose what to do next, only thing is, it shut itself off before I could do anything about it.

I can, at the very least, have someone who knows what they are doing save the stuff from my hard drive? (Assuming it is OK)
The fan shield was in its proper position, I removed it for the pics.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Dustin Mason

Edited by Dustin Mason 10/3/2006 23:31

(Heatsink in place.JPG)

(heat sink removed.JPG)

(Parts.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Heatsink in place.JPG (58KB - 416 downloads)
Attachments heat sink removed.JPG (66KB - 408 downloads)
Attachments Parts.JPG (26KB - 403 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)