AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sandisk 512mb flashdrive won't work
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

MikeInFrance
Posted 10/5/2006 06:31 (#48861 - in reply to #48284)
Subject: Disabling write cache is not as safe as thought

Alsace 47°52'46"N 7°24'30"E
WARNING: This trick is only valid once the jumpdrives are connected ..... But USB accepts quite a few devices connected to the same port via USB hubs .... Therefore, I don't consider this trick as safe!
What happens if I connect a second, then a 3rd jumpdrive and a camera, and a video camera, and an external hard disk, and a DVD writer and a MP3 player? The drive letters get allocated in connection sequence and I am busted!
Pity is write cache is enabled by default on almost every mass storage device, even and most on strong RAID systems for better performance! Think of it: a RAM chip has a medium access time of some nano (10 -9) seconds, a disk has a medium access time of some milli (10 -3) seconds that is a factor of 10 -6 from disk to chip or a million times faster! Sure, when dealing with BIG files, like video streaming or life audio, the buffers get flooded and physical disk access takes over, but with small files, the buffers do an excellent job! This is why write buffers are enabled by default.

If someone comes up with a howdo to generally disable write cache, I'll reconsider my position ;)

HTH
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)