AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

direct command nh3
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 9/16/2006 19:38 (#44308 - in reply to #44236)
Subject: RE: direct command nh3...$$

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Ron - using Direct Command would solve some of the problem you mention. If you shut off half of the bar by turning off a boom switch, Autoswath will not turn that section ON. It sounds as if you are thinking of a type of "reset situation". Autoswath will not turn on a particular valve unless that valve is "allowed ON" by the setting on the Switchbox. This type of NH3 Bar would be setup with a Master, a Left Half Switch and a Right Half switch.

If Autoswath is used, the appropriate side would be shutoff just like it is on a sprayer.

When using Direct Command with NH3, Ag Leader recommends using an Implement Switch on the bar for Safety. This should prevent accidental operation with the bar out of the ground. This implement switch goes in a loop on the Liquid Control Module.

Even if Autoswath is not used, the Zoomed in Coverage Map (the way I always run) would show the area as unapplied. This could happen if the operator shut off one half and then the Master at the end. For the return pass, the operator may forget to turn on the half that had been turned off before. This would show up us an unapplied area on the map and the operator would probably quickly notice this.

I used to do this once in a while with a sprayer before Autoswath and the Insight. I made a "Partial Boom Alert" to alert me to this situation. The Alarm was silent when NO booms were ON or if all Four Booms were ON. These would be "Normal situations". If one, two or three but not all four booms were ON, my Partial Boom Alert would sound a buzzer for a second and then take an adjustable break. The idea was that the Alarm would alert me to the fact that I was spraying with a partial boom but would yet be tolerable if that was in fact what I intended to do.

Yes, only certain valves are acceptable for NH3. Both Raven and KZ use a standard Jamesbury 1/4 turn hand valve to which an electric motor has been attached. The valve itself is 100% Jamesbury. Both companies drill a hole in the ball on the upstream side. This is so if a valve is removed the NH3 will be released. If it were not released. it would be possible that the repair person might turn the valve by hand and be injured by the NH3 which would be trapped inside the ball when it is in the OFF position.

That reminds me - Be sure to leave ball valves in the ON or halfway ON position on your spray equipment over Winter. If they are left in the OFF position there is a good chance that water will be trapped inside the ball. When the water freezes, it expands and often damages the valve. I have done this a few times myself.

Edited by tedbear 9/16/2006 19:43
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)