AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Winter Wheat
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

95h
Posted 10/31/2008 11:17 (#494791 - in reply to #494351)
Subject: Re: Winter Wheat

Kittitas Co. Wa. State
I don't know diddly about Wisconsin weather patterns how much growing weather you have left etc.. this is what I'd do in my area. Adapt it (or not) to your situation.

I would be very hesitant to plant W.W. if I didn't have enough growing weather left in the season to get the wheat out of the ground- establish a good root system and be about 2-3 inches tall. The first root(s) after the seed sprouts are very tender and easily damaged. The problem comes if/and or when there isn't a good snow cover and in the fall or throughout the winter there is several cycles of freezing ground, thawing ground. As the ground "buckles" under the weather changes,, it can damage those fragile roots.

Absolute optimum for winter wheat would be nice weather, seeds sprout, W.W. grows to about 3-4 inches,, It snows 12" or so and then gets miserable cold freezes and snow never melts until spring. That nice little "white blankie" insulates the actual ground from freeze/thaw cycles, and the seeds sit there dormant all snug under their "blankie".
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)