AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What kind of field drying are you seeing---- not enough to wait??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Oliver1
Posted 10/28/2008 04:10 (#492469 - in reply to #492446)
Subject: Re: What kind of field drying are you seeing---- not enough to wait??

Alton, Ia
10 cents- wow. Our local co-op was at 6.75, and I thought that was highway robbery. Heard a rumor they have dropped it to 5 due to lower fuel prices, but haven't confirmed that yet. Still have space here. I believe I can do it for about 3, depending on how I amortize my equipment costs, and value my time (Note time of this post, just came in from checking ours).

Some day, I am going to figure out the theoretical # water/ bushels + points per gallon of propane, just to see how much room for improvement I have left. I believe there is quite a bit, which amazes me even more how much is charged in town.

I understand what you are saying Jim about economic trade offs, but we had 55-60 mph wind on Sunday. After that, there is nobody around here waiting for drydown anymore. They may be waiting for dryer capacity, chores, etc., but it has officially entered the pedal to the metal season here. If you want to pencil out waiting longer, make sure to value decreased combine throughput, higher repairs due to dirt, and the mental health sessions necessary after a day in the cab.

FWIW, our worst corn down is a 110 day. The ~104 corn is standing tall.

IMO, after 10/15 there is very little field drying. The days are shorter, the sun is lower in the sky, etc. It just doesn't dry much anymore. Sure, if you wait until Dec. 1, it may be 18%, but you better have a hybrid with good stalk strength, no stalk rot present, etc.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)