AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

drying sunflowers with aeration - adding heat?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

mennoboy
Posted 10/24/2008 21:35 (#490278 - in reply to #490247)
Subject: Re: drying sunflowers with aeration - adding heat?

Rivers, MB
So you're saying that combining at 18% is not a concern? I have so little experience with sunflowers that I am feeling uncomfortable with it but I do realize that the air blows through them quite easily.
Our crop looks very good. We have only grown sunflowers (oils) the last 3 years now. First year we had around 2300 lb/ac and the next year 2400 lb/ac. This year looks better than last year so we are hoping for 2500lb/ac. When we first grew them, we were budgeting on 1500-1800 lb/ac. this is what our crop ins. was telling us we should expect. Either they were way off or we have had serious beginners luck!! And we were able to harvest them almost dry the last 2 years (combine fires made things interesting) so we have been telling ourselves that somewhere, we will have a more difficult harvest. Maybe this is that year. We sprayed half of them with Reglone (diquat? i think) and the frost has taken care of the other half.

Do you grow confects or oils? What kind of yields do you get in your area.
So far what I am hearing in southern MB is an OK sunflower crop but nothing great.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)