AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

AC Greenfix in Kansas
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

geekyfarmer
Posted 10/22/2008 13:09 (#488156)
Subject: AC Greenfix in Kansas

NC Kansas
I've been looking for a nitrogen-building cover crop to put into my no-till rotation. Another no-tiller suggested AC Greenfix. My current rotation is wheat-wheat-milo-soybeans. In a perfect world I would plant the Greenfix after the second wheat crop, the summer before the milo. Could I plant right after the wheat is off in July and still expect to get a good stand before a frost in October? What can I do for weed control besides burn down the wheat stubble and plant a little later? If I wanted a seed crop (the stuff is $60/50# bag, seeding rate one bag to the acre), would it have time to make seed?

The research I've done says that it grows best in cool, dry climates (Canada and other exotic places). Is Kansas going to be too hot? We get 26-28" of moisture a year here, but can Greenfix do OK on subsoil moisture?

Farmer Tom, you've talked about the stuff before. Care to share a little knowledge? Any other Kansas guys planted the stuff? The info says that I can expect 80-120# of available N in a three-month growing season. Can I believe the hype?

Thanks a million!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)