AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

corn dryers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

KDD
Posted 10/13/2008 23:07 (#481788 - in reply to #481690)
Subject: Re: corn dryers

Leesburg, Ohio
Efficiency winner would have to be the in-bin dryers, with probably the big continuous-flow towers with suction cooling coming in second.

That said, I have a slew of in-bin dryers that I have come to hate, mostly from a reliability standpoint...I'm very tired of climbing in and out of hot, wet bins on cold nights to fix broken-down stirring devices. So, our biggest storage location has a fairly new Farm Fans continuous-flow dryer, air system to move dry corn to bins, and a large receiving leg and pit, with an overhead loadout tank/wet bin. Have had the new dryer for three seasons, and am very pleased with the results.

I think if I were set on a new in-bin dryer, it would be one with the DMC or Shivvers type continuous-flow setup. Partly to eliminate having to batch transfer corn from the drying bin, but the biggest reason would be to eliminate some stress on the stirring augers and hopefully increase their reliability...running shallower corn depth in the drying bin has to be a good thing both for speed of drying, and reliability.

I think I'll keep my Farm Fans unit.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)