AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Let's be honest about fertilizer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

farmersamm
Posted 10/6/2008 18:33 (#476183 - in reply to #475588)
Subject: Re: Let's be honest about fertilizer

Oklahoma
I hear a lot about inputs involved in foriegn production being subsidized by their respective govts. I also hear that the increased demand for corn for ethanol production is causing higher demand for fertilizer. I could go on and on with "excuses" for increased prices. Sounds suspiciously like the sort of thing we hear from the oil industry.

Personally I feel that the suppliers are getting what the market will bear. They've figured out your/my bottom line, and have figured a way to get every excess dollar in your pocket, leaving enough for you to live on till next season. We are all being converted to share croppers.

I'm small. I only grow 80 acres of Haygrazer each year. Cut it for hay. I use about 12 tons of fertilizer between preplant, and topdress on second cutting. My bill went up from around 4200 to around 12000 in a space of 3 or so years. Price of beef hasn't kept pace. I'm working just to keep going until next year.

If the big boys keep this up, they're gonna kill the goose that layed the golden egg. It may be that food processors, etc. now have decided that they can do better buying all foodstuffs from foriegn sources, and they really don't give a d**n about the health of the American farmer. This might work for a while, until consumers start dying, or becoming ill, from contaminated food (bacteria, chemicals). Meanwhile, we'll all be out of business.

Well, it's just a thought.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)