AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn Harvest
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

yoohoo
Posted 10/5/2008 20:55 (#475529 - in reply to #475349)
Subject: RE: Corn Harvest

NE IOWA/ SE SD
Fredericksburg on Highway 18, Been in three different varieties, (108 day avg moisture 26%, 102 day avg 26%, 102 day same field avg 23%) Same thing in all four varieties very varrible. Planted on May 13th and May 16th.

Tomorrow I will be doing another 40 acres of a number that had some rootworm feeding and is twisted up a little and need to get it out before it gets any worse. There is no setting the combine perfect this year due to the variability. The only thing you can do is set it for the better yielding parts and sacrifice (blow it out the back of the combine) the drier spots where the corn is a little light and the cob is kinda robbery. Still we are grinding the kernals on the butt of the cob which is causing a good amount of F.M. in the sample. Looking forward that will make it hard to store through spring and into summer. I don't know if everyone else is having the same issues, but my uncle that is combining my corn for me said the last time he seen this much variablity was in 1975. Technology has change a lot since then which helps but doesn't cure. The moisture sensor on the combine usually has a range ( the moisture of the corn its going through minimum and maximum which changes its range about every 10 minute) of 13 points (20 to 33). Consiquently it is nearly impossible to get the yield monitor calibrated perfectly. (I see insurance companies throwing a fit if they find this out and a lot of people try to collect.)

Frost-I had spots that were under water for a 3-4 days stunted a little bit. The frost we had on Fri. night finished it of, but won't hurt the yield much at all. I was surprised as well because it wasn't supposed to be a "killing frost" like you say.

The challenges of this year persist.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)