AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1083 CIH Cornhead questions.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

boog
Posted 10/3/2008 23:01 (#474623 - in reply to #474537)
Subject: Re: 1083 CIH Cornhead questions.

Without going out & looking at our 1083, is the 35 tooth sprockets the med spd or low spd sprockets? We have found that with the med spd sprockets our 1083 will have more header shellage so try to run the low speed whenever possible. We normally run 5-5.mph with our 2388. Low speed will work at those speeds but you won't chew the stalks up as much as it will on with the med. speed sprockets.

As for your question on knife spacing, they should be adjusted as close as possible without ticking, I believe the book calls for 1/32" gap between knives. DEck plates should be set as tight as possible with the top set 1/4" wider than the bottom. Setting them too tight will cause more stalks to go in the combine. Usually if you see the stalks being pushed forward instead of being pulled back into the head they are too tight. I recently saw a 1083 advertised for sale that had hyd adjustable stripper plates but I have talked to our CIH dealer & service manager & they don't know of anyone making hyd plates for the 1xxx series heads. WE also have had problems with stalk buildup between the traingle plates & the deck plates, actually seems to start around the snout hinges. Haven't solved that problem yet.

On the idler arms, usually the problem is that they tend to "freeze up" in the aluminum block holes. WE usually take ours apart before the start of harvest, clean them good, apply antiseize & out them back together. Still seem to have a couple that will "freeze up" before the end of harvest.

AS for the head shellage, it's been a problem for us with almost everi IH / CIH cornhead we have owned from the 9xx series through the 1xxx series. Personally, I think a lot of it comes from the cross auger as ears get between the flighting & the floor pan causing the shellage. You can adjust the auger fore & aft but I don't thing you can up & down or if you can ours is all the way down. Our head is a '99 so has had a few acres thu it & I wondering if the auger flighting has worn down causing the clearance problem. Would replace the auger but have traded the head for a new 34xx series for '09.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)