AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD 8 speed pwr sft ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

fuzzy
Posted 10/1/2008 20:12 (#473140)
Subject: JD 8 speed pwr sft ?

WCIN
I bought at an auction a 4040 Jd with the 8 speed powershift that seems to be in good condition, 5000 hrs on the meter, straight sheet metal, 4 new tires, motor seems to run properly, but when you move the shift lever out of park into any gear forward or reverse the tractor will slowly creep forward or backwards. I adjusted the bolt on the clutch pedal, even removed it to allow complete travel but it didnt seem to matter, the tractor would slowly creep at the same speed while shifting into gear no matter if I mashed the pedal in or held it partway back. If i step on the brake it stops immediatly and does not seem to put a load on tractor like i think it would if trying to take off in gear. I will use the tractor for hay work, bush hogging and other small jobs. Is this something simple to fix, major dollar repair or normal operation for an 8 spd powershift? Im pretty familiar with quad range and syncro transmission JD's of this vintage but have no idea if this is normal or not for a power shift. I want it to work correctly but if its a major dollar repair i can live with it for the jobs described above. Also, I would possibly put a loader on this tractor sometime down the road. Would the powershift hold up to moving bales, pushing dirt/manure/trees, etc and how handy is a powershift on a loader tractor?

Ps. Where should the oil pressure gauge be during high idle? Seems like its kind of low but dont i remember older jd's would read kind of low? Sorry for all the questions but feeling some "buyers remorse" like maybe she is a pretty lemon...

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)