AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

hidden yield loss
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Greywolf
Posted 9/28/2008 08:26 (#470684 - in reply to #470439)
Subject: Re: hidden yield loss

Aberdeen MS
It all depends on what is being compared to what really.

Many times what I've found, the wetter the corn...the lower the test weight... not always....but usually. Test weight is determined by a small cup of XX volume (pretty small really) that I believe is weighed in grams, then converted to a weight per bushel. But test weight is only a factor for marketing purposes when it falls under 54# or is it 52#??? (not enough coffee this morning yet).

The more swelled the kernel is... more water and air is occupying the "cup" than drier corn. You will have more volume occupying a space obviously with the same amount of dry matter kernels.

The industry is based on a 56# unit of corn, not a true volume bushel. We have just accepted 56# of corn as being a bushel.

When comparing.... to be a "true" comparison.... convert both samples to a "dry matter" basis and compute rather than utilizing a standard "shrink" factor.

I've normally found "here", as long as I don't have ear droppage in the field, I can produce a better sample, higher grade of corn by letting mother nature do the drying than letting the ovens produce that. A closer eye needs to be had when setting the combine and watch more often. Dry corn just "flows" that much easier through the combine than wet corn does...so it helps the combine fuel bill a tiny bit as well.

After proof reading. If yield is determined by how many bushels are in a bin XX size, then high test weight corn will give a lower yield than the same equivalent volume of grain going across a scale.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)