AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Jim @ Dawn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 9/26/2008 00:01 (#469554 - in reply to #469491)
Subject: RE: Jim @ Dawn

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Mike,

Hi, I think I remember you and your friends. Didn't we run up to the heavier corn residue on the north end of the field after the tillage demo?  We have a fair number of Pluribus units running in Ohio including some by folks occasionally on this board.

Most planters with dry fertilizer systems have the lift wheels off of the back of the 7x7 which puts the wheels between our Pluribus row units. That will not work as there is not sufficient room for residue flow between the rows. I can't think of any planter bars which have both the dry fertilizer and wheels on the front of the bar.

However we do have at least a couple customers I can think of who took the dry fert boxes off of a planter frame - they are usually just u-bolted to the frame - and turned them around mounting them on the back side of our mounted toolbar. The fertilizer drop point ends up being about the right spot to gravity drop into our old style straight stainless dry fert tubes which we can supply.

The down side to this on a mounted bar is the lift weight, especially when the fert boxes, usually with extensions, are full. This has also been done on a pull type bar with the wheels in front.

Usually however it is much easier to use liquid fert. Or just purchase a new Montag air cart which connects to the toolbar with two balls and stays between the rows. The savings in fertilizer expense may pay for the system pretty quickly.

You may also have luck looking around especially in northern papers or on the net for an older Flexicoil or Concord air seeder cart and using that as a trailer/blower for dry fertilizer.

Jim at Dawn

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)