AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

how much hp can i put on 4230 trans and diff
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

JFDairy
Posted 9/24/2008 00:04 (#468017 - in reply to #467754)
Subject: RE: how much hp can i put on 4230 trans and diff

middle TN
I'm will agree with msb here. You can generate the HP, but you can't stick it to the ground no matter how much weight you hang on it. I have a 4230 that the original owner had a turbo put on when it was new. I think it is comparable to a 4320, maybe a bit stronger. It was the original owners "big" tractor for 10 yrs, and had had the head worked and a new radiator when we bought it in 1987. We used it as our workhorse after that.. quite a step up from a 2440 Deere and a 666 IH. All that said, at about 7000 hrs the rearend went kaput while I was pulling an 11 shank chisel. So evidently the rearend troubles continued in the 42's even in the late models, as this one is a '77. Replaced the rear with parts equivalent to a 55 series, and while it was in the shop it dynoed at 135 hp. It had the quad-range rebuilt at about 8000 hrs. It went on without any major drive-train issues up till nearly 13000 hrs. These have been pretty hard hours, as we pulled a 22' Amco disc, 2 row chopper, and probably the hardes pulling thing was a 10' Versa Silage bagger. I guess it has done OK for us, up until a wrist-pin retainer broke a couple of years ago, just been fence-rowed since then until I get a chance fix it. The quad is in need of attention now as well. We have other tractors now, so when I get around to fixing it, I will most likely de-tune it a good bit, hopefully it will be easier on fuel for the chores I need it for. I feel one would be more satisfied with a 46 or at least a 44, if you are needing the HP for draft loads. Their is really no comparing it to a 46, no matter how many ponies you can generate, so much more rear-end in the 46. If you do decide to turn it up, you probably can bet on a rear-end in the future if you are loading it.

For what it's worth,

Jared in TN
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)