AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Actual netwrap costs for 2008
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Angus in ncmo
Posted 9/23/2008 20:50 (#467742 - in reply to #467393)
Subject: RE: I hit 84 bales/hour with twine......

84 bales per hour... that's gettin' with it I'd guess.  Is there a point where capacity of the baler isn't enough for the quantity of the hay where you have to slow down, or is it just go as fast as the pickup will stuff it in the baler?

The processor I'm using is a Haybuster 2650.  I'm pretty sure I don't deal with the same amount of winter moisture you put up with so I'm guessing I might have more of a problem if I lived farther north. 

It seems to me I rarely lose any netting out of the processer if the hay is dry or free from crusty moisture.  "Most of the time" the bales are pretty much "open" of ice and crusted snow here.

I also try to clean the rotor about every 40-60 bales depending on the weather, and it seems a "cleaner" more aggressive flail will grab the netting much more readily, especially the drier, cleaner netting.  I've noticed a few times when we hit a particularly crappy stretch of weather and I don't get the rotor cleaned, and the icy, crusty moisture is on the net, a little more of it will show up on the ground, but it's in small enough pieces and the overall quantity hasn't worried me too much yet, but we can feed hay out of the shed if we get hit with an ice storm and it gets to seeming like it's going to be much of an issue. 

I've never found a piece of the processsed netting after green up in the spring, and assume as small as the pieces and as few of them as there are, they're staying right down next to the dirt fairly similar to thatch, but definitely not thick enough to damage the grass.  So I'm not going to start worrying just yet.

On another note, I try to keep the flails somewhat sharp.  About every 1500-2500 bales, I use a sanding disk on my 4 1/2" grinder to touch up the cutting edges on the flails.  And this will temporarily put a few more very small pieces of netting on the ground until the sharper edges get worn off a little. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)