AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Actual netwrap costs for 2008
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Angus in ncmo
Posted 9/23/2008 09:18 (#467297)
Subject: Actual netwrap costs for 2008

Just finished with haying yesterday.  For several years now, we have allowed the cattle to harvest our entire second cutting, fortunately we have good water sources in, or next to, all of our hayfields and most are fenced (others just get a quick single electric wire), saves on labor & fuel.

Anyway, just thought I'd pass along some actual figures for this year on netwrap costs per bale.

I only got the idea to keep track of actual bales per roll on the last 6 rolls I used, but they should represent a good average for the entire year. 

'08 568 JD baler with monitor set to apply 1.5 wraps of net.

Actual '08 cost per roll of Ambraco 67" x 7000' = $191.10 each

Actual bales per roll for the last 6 rolls used = 186, 187, 191, 196, 201, & 205 (from least to most per roll)                  Average bales per roll = 194.33

Cost per bale = $.98  (To be fair this doesn't include the $5096 cost of the netwrap option, but there should at least be a noted savings of fuel for not twining bales).

On two different occasions, I was in heavy enough hay to bale 60 full-sized 5x6 bales per hour (best I ever did with twine in years past with 567 baler was 24 per hour).  On the best day I baled 307.5 bales.

Didn't use any twine at all this year -- first year ever to go 100% net.  (I feed with a processor so I don't worry about icy net removal.)

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)