AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

FYI on IH power steering systems
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Pat H
Posted 9/23/2008 12:31 (#467410 - in reply to #467005)
Subject: Re: FYI on IH power steering systems

plowboy - 9/22/2008 22:07

Pat, have you found anyone who actually knows anything about the power steering system, or have you had stuff apart enough to learn yourself?

I would really like to know where the pressure control valve is on our sprayer truck..(Navistar 2500 with DT 466 power, 1993 I think) It needs a little help and I don't really think it's necessary to change the entire system but nobody seems to be able (or maybe willing) to be helpful in the least little bit.

So far I found the sheppard guys to be very knowledgable, but only about their part (the steering gear). They did want to point to about anything else in the system other than the gear (ie. binding linkage, low tire pressure, overloaded), but finally did explain to me that it's the flow rate that is important to my type of gear. They told me that if I had to rev up the engine to get any assist, then my pump was not putting out enough flow. My IH truck dealer just sells parts and had little else to say.

As far as I can tell the pump has an integral pressure relief valve that you should only hear working at full lock. With the direct drive pump when it would work it never seemed to develop enough flow to develop enough pressure to open the relief valve unless the engine was revved up. In my system there are no other valves or even a cooler.

Hope this helps,

Pat
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)