AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How many amps can I use????
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

L8Bloomer
Posted 9/18/2008 23:21 (#464036 - in reply to #463880)
Subject: RE: How many amps can I use????

SW Ohio
I am not up on my single phase amperages but Ifeel certain that 2 ten hp motors will not run on 78 amps if it takes 30 amps to run one five hp.
On the clamp amp meter, clamp only one wire at a time. On single phase the same amperage is in either wire. You can check if you suspect a problem.
On three phase you can check each wire to see if the motor is balanced electrically. This is often checked if you use a rotophase to determine if more or less capacitors are needed. The reading on only one wire is the amperage that motor is using, weather one or three phase.
I think you are close too a reasonable limit wire-wise. It would be good to check your amperages again. And definitly check the transformer. Some motors may pull 300 percent of the rated amperage during a hard (loaded) start. ( Although I don't think single phase ones do) Also there are two amperage ratings. FLA means "Full Load (running) Amperage.

I know it wasn't your question and now is a bad time (harvest coming) but there are advantages to using a rotophase set-up. I use two. They work together into the same power system. Low load = small converter. Higher load = big converter. Highest load = both.

Hope this helps,
Good Luck,
Dave

Edited by L8Bloomer 9/18/2008 23:26
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)