AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Silage Corn Started
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Boomer
Posted 9/17/2008 14:38 (#462762 - in reply to #462739)
Subject: Re: Silage Corn Started

40 Ton of silage is about our limit on corn, I havent harvested any grain yet but it appears to me that the ears are smaller then normal for us this year. I think it had to do with all the smoke we had this year from the fires. Many days this summer it was almost like we were in a fog (but still in the 100s). I plant most of the corn, both silage and grain at around 36K and end up with around 32K. Most years we can get 220-240 yeilds on grain (on the best ground). The test plots we have been doing the last couple of years Dekalb 61-72 and 665 have been the best and the Pioneer hybreds we have been using are really falling behind on yeilds. We took out a plot a few days ago and 61-72 was just a little over 40 Ton and right next to it was couple of what the Pioneer dealer said was the best they had (cant remember the numbers right now) and they both were almost 3 ton less. At $40 a ton it dont take long to really add up......All silage yeilds are adjusted to 70% mositure so all things are equil.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)