AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

PTO Sense Switch
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 8/20/2008 07:19 (#439021)
Subject: PTO Sense Switch

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
We have situations where it would be desirable to pick up a signal to determine when a tractor's PTO is ON or OFF.

These are manure situations where the operator activates the PTO and would like another electronic device (usually a Raven console or Ag Leader Insight system) to start monitoring/logging when the PTO is engaged.

I have been successful in doing this with several tractor models. I built a switchbox that consists of a three position switch labelled PTO, OFF, and ON. In the ON position logging always takes place regardless of the status of the PTO. In the OFF position logging never takes place. The PTO position is the one commonly used and the logging follows the PTO status.

This switchbox contains a relay so that when the tractor PTO is engaged electronically, the relay is activated and behaves as mentioned above.

This scheme needs a source that is 12V when the PTO is ON and floats when the PTO is off. I have found such a source in a couple of situations and the scheme has worked well.

In the Deere 8X10 series, I made a tee that goes in between the Command Arm harness and the tractor harness. Pin #12 goes ON/OFF with the PTO and leads to my switch/relay box.

In an older MX tractor, a customer found a wiring diagram that showed a place to tap in on those tractors.

Yesterday a customer called who had used this switchbox/relay successfully with an older MX tractor and really liked it. He has now traded tractors and has a new(er) MX 305. He would like to wire it the same way.

He said that he found a tie in point but that when the switchbox/relay was connected, it prevented the PTO from operating properly so he had to remove it. He is looking for a tie in point that would be acceptable to the tractor.

I am not familiar with those tractors and am wondering if anyone knows a spot to accomplish our goal. It would seem that tapping in right at the solenoid would be a logical spot since the system should handle the slight extra load of the relay. Possibly the customer tried tying in to a line that is actually an input to their CAN system.

The customer called yesterday because a tractor tech was out for some other issues and they discussed the situation. The tractor tech suggested some type of motion sensor on the PTO to activate the system without invading the tractor's electronics. I can understand the idea of not invading the tractors electronics but I am not sure how a motion sensor would be setup easily.

A coworker suggested that there may be a PTO diagnostic port on the tractor. If so it might be possible to put in a pressure sensor there that would be tripped at the pressure level experienced when the PTO is engaged.

This is the scheme that Trimble uses on my non-autotrac ready 8120 with Autopilot. A sensor is installed in the diagnositic port and when pressure is sensed, the system "knows" that I have grabbed the wheel and the Autopilot system is disengaged.

Any ideas or thoughts? Anyone else done something like this?

Edited by tedbear 8/20/2008 07:22
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)