AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

2 cylinder Deere question (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

msb
Posted 8/17/2008 21:49 (#437365 - in reply to #437199)
Subject: RE: 2 cylinder Deere question (pics)

Lapel, In
MEMORIES ! Man, that sure looks like the 730 that I bought new in the spring of 1960. I drove about a 15 inch pipe down in the muffler.Made it look like a real powerhouse. Does it have dual hydraulics? 3 levers. Mine did. Looks like it even has the upgrade on the fuel return line. The upgrade has a ball and spring inside it which gives the rack a bit more transfer pump pressure and supposedly makes it easier to bleed---NOT !That gave those old horses a few more horsepower.With that valve installed, it made gravity bleeding impossible without taking it apart.The original fitting had a small hole in it. It only restriced the return fuel flow.It didn't build but very little pressure( and only when the tractor was running )in the rack like the upgrade did.

The filter on the right is the primary filter.Take the plug out and let it bleed until you get about a gallon in the clean catch bucket. Then do the same to the left filter.Sometimes it takes forever to get that last bubble of air out of them. Since you already have the rack cover off, I would put a pipe nipple in the rack where the return line goes and slip ,a hose over that and bleed it there just like before. Then shut the sediment bowl valve off and reistall the rack cover and return line. It should then start without pulling it.

I remember working to bleed one for two hours an a service call once. No way to pull it that day and the mosquitos about ate me alive. That is why I remember it so well.lol..

I always started mine by stepping on the decompression pedal. Get her turning over real good and release the compression pedal the exact same time I advanced the throttle lever. A lot less load on both the batteries and the starter.

I always got a kick out of rebuilding those old pumps and running them on the test stand. They made a noise all their very own.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)