AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

2 way radio interference with grain cart scale
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 8/17/2008 06:01 (#436862 - in reply to #436789)
Subject: RE: 2 way radio interference with grain cart scale

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I had pretty much the same thing happen with a grain cart and two-way radio. In my case transmitting on the radio turned the scale OFF. I don't believe it turned it ON but I guess the scale was always ON when we noticed the problem.

I actually tried setting a small separate lawnmower type battery in the cab to test run the scale with it. I felt that if the problem was in the wiring that this should help. This did not help the problem so I don't believe rewiring is the answer.

Moving the scale head and/or radio antenna is probably a better solution. Last year the scale head got moved to another corner of the cab for better visibilty.

I don't recall having the shutdown problem last season but I do not run the grain cart. We actually use the radios very little since I am very fortunate in that I have an excellent cart operator and conversation is not necessary.

This year I traded carts. The new cart has the more modern smaller display than the previous carts although it is still a Weigh-Tronix scale. It may interesting to see if this shutdown problem occurs again.

The Weigh-Tronix scale is manufactured in Fairmont Minnesota (at least it used to be). A couple of years ago, I stopped by the plant one day and asked about the problem. They indicated that a filter could probably be installed in the scale head but the filter would be dependent on the frequency used by the radio and might involve quite a bit of trial & error. At that point I decided to just live with the problem as it didn't bother us all that much.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)