AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pete questions.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

RodInNS
Posted 7/3/2008 17:38 (#409219 - in reply to #409020)
Subject: Re: Pete questions.

Pete doesn't mean a thing to me.... I've got an IH 9400 which has a setback front, but it's still got a long beak on it for geting around.
The pure simple truth is that if you go looking for an old tractor with a big bore engine and the driveline behind it, you're going to have 10-11 tonne in it using as much aluminum as you can. They just can't scale. That's with a single frame too.
I don't find that the single frame is a problem with mine, but I'm not chasing combines either. I'm hauling silage, some gravel and firewood. I do get up some heavy loads on rough ground though. I guess it depends on who's in the drivers seat and how much you're doing....
You could also slide a heavy front under the tractor to get the gross up some. I'm allowed 23,5 on mine but I could get up to 26,5 with a 20000# front. You sem to run a bit lighter out there...
If payload is what you need then you probably want an old S-Line with a Dt466 to keep the weight down, or even an old Ford 8000 with the Brazilian Ford engine. Those were vocational built trucks that would carry a good payload, whatever other faults they had...
Other option is to just run heavy with the old tractor. You wouldn't be the first...

Rod
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)