AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1688 jumping out of 2nd gear
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 7/3/2008 08:01 (#408933 - in reply to #408703)
Subject: It's nothing $8217 won't fix ...

West Union, Illinois

At least that was my bill earlier this spring when the local dealer fixed my 2166 that was jumping out of 2nd gear. I told Stan I cold do like Dad did the old 1480 and tie it in 2nd with a tarp strap. He allowed as how that was fine unless something got to floating around loose and got in a tight spot. I figured he knew what he was talking about and had it done properly.

The invoice says they replaced bearing and seal, detent balls and spring, 2nd gears (THAT hurt), park brake line, feeder coil, park brake valve, and brake shaft. That included $2410 of gears, a $82 shaft, and $469 of bearings.

edit:  Someone mentioned doing it yourself.  We considered it, but are not equipped to handle a unit the size of transmission safely in our little shop.    The $3000 labor bill was hard to swallow, but included the experience and expertise of a trained mechanic and was a lot cheaper than doing ourself and risking hurting someone...or the cost of messing it up and being down during harvest.  My biggest gripe was the bill for $122 for misc supplies and waste.  $122 is too big for misc. 

Edited by Mike SE IL 7/3/2008 12:04
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)