AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

opinions on articulates
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

TreatyLineFarms
Posted 7/1/2008 03:46 (#407740 - in reply to #407537)
Subject: Re: opinions on articulates

I have an 81 8640 with a 50 series that I've had good luck with since 2002. I dont put many hours on it as I dont farm all that much, but I take care of it and have had no trouble. aside from a piece of chaff in the fuel line that brought things to a halt. (RonM from this forum helped me out with that problem last fall, Thanks again Ron!) I pull a 13 shank disk chisel and a 25' Field Cultivator/spring harrow combo, and I'm not afraid to put either in the ground. No, they arent new. No, they arent bulletproof, but using them as a 220 hp tractor is designed for I havent had any problems. I did have it hang up in 2 gears last summer while i was pulling trees out of a fencerow. I had the shift cables replaced and it hasnt happened since. And it shifts way better:) The previous owner cautioned me not to try to turn while pulling the tractor hard(duh). Seems as tho its a bit hard on the dual hubs/bolts.

As for an 855 Cummins "that will never fail"...I call bull**** on that one. Everything can break.

Dont let the 86 haters get to you. If it does the job for you and you're happy, go for it.

Invest in an air ride seat if you buy it. They arent exactly caddillacs in the ride dept....even with radials. In fact I think a worn out Hendrickson suspension might ride better.

Edited by TreatyLineFarms 7/1/2008 03:51
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)