AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Omnistar XP Convergence Ez-Guide 500
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 6/9/2008 07:22 (#393510 - in reply to #393405)
Subject: RE: Omnistar XP Convergence Ez-Guide 500

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I noticed an improvement in Convergence at times this Spring with my Trimble 332. I haven't quite figured it out completely but it did seem better.

I have heard that the Omnistar folks have made some improvments in the way convergence is handled but that not all GPS receivers utilize these new features yet. Possibly the EZ-Guide 500 does. When I renewed my subscription with Omnistar, I asked them if my 332 would utilize these new features and the Omnistar guy said "no not yet but they (Trimble) are working on it".

Last year I would leave the 332 ON outside overnight to maintain convergence. This year when I tried this, the load from starting the tractor would cause the 332 to drop out and the convergence process would start over. Apparently the 332 is not very tolerant of voltage drops.

Sometimes the reconvergence would go quite quickly and other times not. VBS was present very quickly in this scenario and generally by the time I got filled up and drove to the field, convergence was acceptable to start planting and improved to the 2 inch reading after a few rounds.

I considered wiring in a small lawn mower battery with a diode arrangment to maintain power to the 332 while starting the tractor but never really got around to it with the weather concerns that we had.

Edited by tedbear 6/9/2008 07:25
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)