AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Insight-reference maps for replanting
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 5/30/2008 08:13 (#387539 - in reply to #387315)
Subject: Re: Insight-reference maps for replanting

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Yes, you lose the ability to continue to add to a current map when you switch configurations for any reason.

So as was stated if part of the field is split planter and part not, the best solution is to use split planter for the entire field and enter the variety name in the product list as was suggested.

Had one yesterday that might be of interest to some. Customer brought his Insight in and wanted us to look at the onscreen maps for his various corn fields. All fields but one (actually the one they were most concerned about) would show an onscreen map in the Summary section. All fields showed a correct summary.

It was as if the map was there but reduced in scale so much as to not be visible. I used the .ilf files for the two days where the questionable field was planted and processed them in SMS. This was a split planter configuration and the stripes showed up as would be expected.

The customer was not so concerned about seeing the onscreen map but wondered if the automatic variety switching at harvest time with the combine would work. I was doubtful that it would but maybe so.

A call to Ag Leader yielded this suggestion that did work. The questionable field did not have a boundary associcated with it. Since the .ilf file that was processed by SMS to produce the variety map worked fine, the suggestion was to create a boundary within SMS and export it to the memory card. This boundary was then imported into the customer's Insight into the proper field. The onscreen map then appeared as he had hoped for in the first place.

We tried to analyze what had happened. There were three fields to this farm which were planted consecutively. The planter was set down at the home place and then driven 17 miles to these fields. At first this seemed like the reason for the confusion. The father reported that the first field of the three that was planted was not the one that had the problem. I don't know if the problem field was planted second or last. I'm thinking that if it was planted last then possibly a "flyer" got created when the planter again returned home.

In working with Ag Leader products for several years I have come to these conclusions: Although boundaries are not always required they are a good idea and "help" the system out since it knows the relative size of the field. Also it is not required but seems to work out better if you don't switch fields until you actually get to the field. For the long distance example above, if a test field had been used for the drive over and a test field used for the drive back the problem may not have appeared.

I'm not positive but I have a feeling that the 17 mile road trip entered into the confusion. I was very surprised that adding the boundary "after the fact" to this troublesome field did cause it to reappear. I feel that the map was actually there all the time but it was scaled down so much as to become invisible. Maybe the automatic variety switching would have worked anyway but it looks much more promising now.

Edited by tedbear 5/30/2008 08:16
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)