AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tips for using AB lines
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 5/18/2008 07:40 (#380207)
Subject: Tips for using AB lines

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I am curious as to how others are using their AB guidance lines. Some of these ideas are probably obvious but many of us may not have thought of them.

This year we have started making a library of AB lines for our property lines. All our property lines with neighbors are straight which makes this fairly easy.

I use an Insight and the straight AB pattern. I drive to a corner post and line up carefully and then SET A. I then drive to the other end and SET B. The system draws the AB line for the property line. I then save this pattern with a descriptive name that will still make sense in the future.

For example, I might name a pattern as TedHome/Schultz EW Line 2008. This tells me that the line is the property line between TedHome and the Schultz property in the East West direction done in 2008.

When I pull in to plant along one of these lines, I then use the Shift feature to shift the AB line over the proper amount from the property line. Since I have a 30 foot planter I just shift the AB line over 15 feet. The only confusion comes about with shift LEFT or shift RIGHT. This is based on the direction of the original AB line (property line). This really isn't a problem because if you pick the wrong direction you can just redo it or start planting on a different pass.

I have a neighbor that now has an Insight with autopilot also. I exported our common property line to my memory card, put my memory card into his Insight and imported this line into his Insight. At that point my "line" was assoicated with the proper field in his Insight. Since the line was the property line he just shifted the line 20' over since he has a 40' planter. He reported that this worked well.

Since we have several common property lines we plan on doing this more in the future. I feel that by using the actual property line rather than the real first pass line that future confusion may be reduced.

I would welcome any other tips or tricks others have used with their AB lines. Again even the most obvious may be helpful to someone.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)