AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Greenseeker - thoughts on corn and wheat
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

BigNorsk
Posted 4/25/2008 09:44 (#364947 - in reply to #363185)
Subject: Why not Crop Circle?

Rolla, ND
Why Greenseeker? The Crop Circle system looks more robust to me and doesn't rely on having a nitrogen rich strip to calibrate every time.

I've had a bit of a mental problem thinking that the Greenseeker can handle our rolling topography because we get less growth much of the time on say hilltops no matter how much nitrogen we would put on. It would appear the Crop Circle might be able to compensate for that while the Greenseeker clearly can't yet.

If the Greenseeker would allow one to calibrate for several zones in a field and then do the field by zones, I'd feel much better about it.

In any case, I'm inclined not to use the system for a lot of nitrogen, interested more in directed crop monitoring.

Problem with using it for nitrogen management here comes down in part to weather. We have too many periods of both no rain and too much rain for me to be comfortable using it as a primary nitrogen management in addition, if your spring wheat is so short on nitrogen that it grows significantly less than the check, I really can't believe you haven't lost bushels.

In addition, it's unusual for us to lose nitrogen, so we nitrate test and if you are a bit high, you can adjust for the next year. That's quite different than areas that assume you lose it. In practice, often the nitrogen is not lost and so running such a system allows you to differentiate between when you lose nitrogen and when you don't.

The situation though that we have that could be used would be sulfer on canola. It causes significantly less growth and the crop responds well to corrective applications, in addition, the majority of the acres are not going to be deficient so it would probably give one the ability to use significantly less fertilizer without significant risk. One could map while spraying herbicides, do a check on the poor growth areas and get in and correct the deficiency.

Marv
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)