AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

product called Coron/ anyone ever use it?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jon S
Posted 4/22/2008 06:22 (#363079 - in reply to #363010)
Subject: RE: product called Coron/ anyone ever use it?

Coron is a brand name for Controlled Release Nitrogen, thus CoRoN. Basically, Urea and Formaldehyde are "cooked" to form what is essensially a resin. The funiture industry in NC were big users of UF slow release nitrogen to make some kind of glue. Not sure about that now.

When I was in the T&O side of the business, we sold a lot of it to golf courses. They liked it to keep the grass from growing too fast. That's a wild business. The slow release basically is a function of the formaldehyde interaction with Urea. Microbes have to break the chemical chain down and they typically don't become active until about 70 degree soil temps (or somewhere close). So, the chemistry is real and the product really is nitrogen but it never was affordable on any grand scale in commodity agriculture. There are many other UF makers out there. The process of cooking slow release nitrogen is actually pretty simple. Sometimes, the UF makers will sell the same UF under different brand names. Some will claim a higher % slow release, but it's really just a "slide of hand" kind of deal since there is no universal method to test the slow release. I would look for the 50% range to be fairly close to the truth.

That's what I know about it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)