AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

anyone farm land with peat or wetlands?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

gndfarms
Posted 4/21/2008 22:46 (#362934)
Subject: anyone farm land with peat or wetlands?

mid minnesota
I recently had a next door neighbor offer me his farm . He is retiring.Some is high ground but some is peat. After going to the FSA office for a map found out that there is a new mapping system that has red (restrected) yellow ( some what restrected) green was (exempt) It used to be just blue dots for wetlands seem that they made different set of rules to follow. I was told that now they will come out and stake acres that cant be farmed if you are in the program. Its 2- 80 acres peices in a L which goes from high to low ground in the same feild .This peice of land has been farmed for more than 30 years. He has ditched it more like 40 years ago but was tiled in maybe in the last 20 years. So I cant farm it if I want to stay in the program. He never had it in the program because he does not like govt. So why can some one thats not in a program farm it and make money of it it and just because all our other land in in the program we can lose all payments from other farms? I would like to farm it because with no regards to payments which it probly has very little anyways never being certifed. I spoke to a neighbor that told me a guy lost 20000 in payments for buring a rock pile in a feild not even a wetland did not know that was against the rules ???? Thanks for all responses
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)