AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question for Phil N. and other wheat gurus
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Phil N
Posted 4/13/2008 22:01 (#357307 - in reply to #357222)
Subject: RE: Question for Phil N. and other wheat gurus

Hi Duishay. That's never an easy question to answer because there are many variables that can result in different yield outcomes. However, as a VERY rough guide, I have used a figure of 1 bu/ac for each healthy tiller per square foot at jointing. While this relationship is non linear (especially at higher head populations), it helps producers decide if a field is worth keeping, or not.

If you are in SE Nebraska, I am guessing your plants are still at the 3-4 leaf stage?. Early spring fertility (especially available N), soil moisture and temperatures will influence how many tillers per plant are generated. When 75-80F is reached in the next 2-3 weeks, your plants will switch from the vegetative to the reproductive stages and the crop will cease tillering.

If you have 15-20 plants per square foot now and each plant generates 2 healthy, head producing tillers, that would produce roughly 30-40 bu/ac. (Within good rainfall areas, I shoot for 50-60 heads per square foot in winter wheat, to produce maximum yields) I am guessing you need 30-40 bu/ac to justify keeping it - right?

When was the wheat planted and how consistent is the plant stand? You have applied your early spring N right ?

Phil N

www.needhamag.com

Edited by Phil N 4/13/2008 22:09
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)