AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

5 inches rain 12 hours after planting in SWMO
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 4/10/2008 23:01 (#354981 - in reply to #354886)
Subject: RE: 5 inches rain 12 hours after planting in SWMO

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Jerry,

I have to agree with Chad, that doesn't look too bad for 5" of rain right after planting! I think you may be very pleasantly surprised by the results.

Your N was under the soil and should mostly still be there. The broadcast P & K, at least the third of it which was tilled in through the strip soil profile at the time of stripping, should still be there.

Erosion was very limited - probably helped by all the residue still on the surface.

What is very noticeable is that the corn stalks between the strips are still there and not all washed into a pile in the low corner of the field!

This is a very real benefit to leaving the stalk as much intact as possible in the fall, standing, not in a thick blanket on the ground, and roots still anchored to the ground, not blowing or washing.

Other than the slough through the middle, look how clear the strips stayed! After it dries out a bit, I would just make one pass with the planter along the slough just to get some corn growing and keep the weeds down and you may be it pretty good shape.

I have seen the same thing on my own hill farm. Strip till, especially our Pluribus mostly spring variety, is a change from what most folks have been used to. After a couple seasons you will feel more comfortable with it.

As a part time farmer I tend to have limited time windows to strip and plant. I was in a high clay area that I had driven over too much when wet. When I stripped between the corn stalks in this compacted clay the strip initially came up in a ribbon and chunks. I said to myself " I can't plant into that"... Well with some spring sun and wind, I came in with the planter and Trashwheels the next afternoon, the "ribbon" had greyed off and fractured into a beautiful place to plant...It takes some experience to develop confidence in the system.

I think you will be fine. You will probably see emergence in those clear warm strips sooner than you expect. Thank you for the posts and pictures.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 4/11/2008 00:23
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)