AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Are we all guilty ??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Mlebrun
Posted 4/11/2008 13:17 (#355362 - in reply to #355201)
Subject: RE: Price Ratio and Super Yield Years

SW MN and Gold Canyon AZ
Many of us would buy stocks and mutual funds if we were getting 10% ROI.
I feel putting just a FEW extra lbs on can return many times that.
Not trying to hit a home run ,just trying to hit a happy medium.
For years I used 120 lbs of total N, back when corn was 2$ N was cheap and yields were 125 bu or so.I sidressed ,banded ect...
Now we are using 150lbs ,corn is 6$ and average yields the last 5 years have climbed to 180 or so and as high as 225 and as low as 160 last year.
My ratio's the last 5 years have been as low as .66 and as high as .93.
What I'm saying is I am not going to fertilize using a .66 to start because if we have a good year those rates are not good enough to maximize economic yields. Not at these prices. I fertilized based on 4$ corn last fall, I will be adding some N this spring over the 150 rate, based on 6$ corn and 180 average yields the past 5 years. I don't think thats hitting a home run ,its just economic sense. I don't have to do it on many acres as manure is my base on 2/3rds of my corn.
Also having higher yields effects ones insurance rates also. Higher yields better coverage.
There are more variables affecting N rates then ever before.
I will stay towards the med, high side for rates until the markets tell me not to.I bought my N for 40$ an acre, I can stay on the higher side easier than someone that is buying this spring, so date and price of purchase does make a difference also.
Next fall I will have to reevaluate because my N costs will be $725 a ton. We will wait and see what my average selling price of corn is then before making the desicion.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)