AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

300 acres to rent, what would you do?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Gunner
Posted 7/26/2006 23:20 (#30171 - in reply to #30004)
Subject: RE: 300 acres to rent, what would you do? Suggestions.

Modena, Wisconsin
Jim,

I agree that 50 bu beans would be about the same as 200 bu corn as far as yield potential but 50 bu beans at $6.00 would be 300 per acre. I know things are different in different areas but I can't see how anyone could think about planting beans if the input costs were about the same as corn. With mine this year I will have less than one third of cost per acre for bean inputs vs corn, about $200 for corn vs $65 for beans. Returns are likely to be 150 bu corn @ 2.25 or 40 bu beans @5.55. The combine cost will be the same, trucking beans will be less because of less bu and you still have to pay to dry the corn. That should push the net for the beans a little higher. Right now both corn and beans look like yield should be above those but that would be a safe 5 year average that I can contract. Neither here will pay for $180 rent. I agree that corn usually has the better potential but like beans starting out because of less input costs. It may well be that it will take corn in his area to make the spreadsheet look like a venture worth taking.

Gunner

Edited by Gunner 7/26/2006 23:23
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)