AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Not good w/math.....can anyone convert to fraction?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Rosco
Posted 7/25/2006 10:20 (#29685 - in reply to #29632)
Subject: RE: While on the subject of .....carpenters?

Galahad, Alberta
I suppose they exist, but I've never seen them. Any good machine shop would have them for making stuff for metric bearings, metric threaded stuff etc. Most farmers in my area still think of everything in imperial. The countryside is laid out in miles and sections, you won't change that. Lumber still comes 2x4 by 16 feet long, for example. A bushel of wheat is still 60 pounds, and I still think of seeding wheat at a bushel and a half per acre, not 101 kg per hectare. Chemical jugs come in convienient sizes for acres, not hectares. Contracts are now written up in tonnes and grain is bought and sold by the tonne. The only metric tools I have are for YOUR JD combines!! Thus the reference to metric bearings and bolts above. The odd thing is, a lot of Canadian manufacturers still use imperial sized bolts and bearings. I doubt Canadian farmers will ever convert completely to metric because so much of our equipment comes from the states. I remember about a year ago there was a big, long thread on here about metric bolts and bearings and everyone had their say, vented some frustration about having to buy the wrenches to work on JD machines, and that was that. Metric has its place, but it's hard to apply it it an industry that can't change it's basic framework(miles and acres)
Rosco in east central Alberta, Canada. EH!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)