AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any Help From Dairymen?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Mark in WCIowa
Posted 3/29/2008 00:20 (#344422 - in reply to #344144)
Subject: Re: Any Help From Dairymen?

Scranton
While organic certainly is not ever going to be widespread anymore, you'd be surprised how good of yields one can grow. I've tested 200 bpa corn on half mile rows in organic. I grow lots of 160 bpa organic corn, year in and year out. Of course I put on turkey manure, and there just isnt enough manure to cover all the acres. Even with rotations of small grains and alfalfa(for N), there just wouldnt be enough manure.
Then again, if we quit making fuel out of our foodstuffs and just plain grew less total bushels, we'd all make the same money and handle less bushels. The quarter of our production that goes to ethanol would about make up for the shortfall of an all organic crop.

Once again, to be clear, I'm just musing about this and am in no way serious about widespread organic production. I like it fine just where we are. And the use of GMO's and things like rBST have been the absolute best thing for the organic markets in this country. Funny thing is I plant triple stack on my conventional acres and RR beans there as well...it makes chemical farming SOOOO easy it gives me far more time for my organic enterprise.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)