AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Greenstar VS. Outback VS. Trimble/Ag leader
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

adampahl
Posted 3/26/2008 17:16 (#342377)
Subject: Greenstar VS. Outback VS. Trimble/Ag leader

Went to all three dealerships today and priced out systems. From the look of things Outback is killing everybody else as far as price goes. I row crop on 30" spacings and have all JD equipment. I priced out two systems from each brand; 1 low cost/ low accuracy system for the 4 wheel drive to steer only for tillage; and 1 high end mapping unit with 3-6" accuracy to move from the planter to sprayer to combine.

sure there are differences between the brands but I got as apples to apples as I could.

Greenstar $25,800 +800 year
Outback $14,500 +$0 year
Trimble $24,500 +$800 year

One thing I wish is that outbacks system would work with the autotrac ready system already in our planter tractor. But I guess $ 1,100 for the hydraulic kit is a small price to pay for saving 10k over the competitors.

Does anyone have an s3 yet? It sounds like they are still working on alot of the interfacing and cable stuff allowing you to control other devices and functions but it sounds like when it comes out all you will have to buy are the cables because the software udates are free and the s3 already has the functionality to do most of these things.

The john deere systems look the easiest and nicest to me being a john deere guy, but the "activation" and "updates" and "subscriptions" are rediculous! of the $25,800 quoted for the greenstar system $12,000 were going to this crap. +800 a year! When you ask about these fees they say it is going towards research and development. This is no way to do buisness. When you buy a new pickup do they charge you an extra $12,000 for development of the truck you will buy in 5 years? NO! They also say they have to pay the government subscription for the satellite use, but I was told that only costs them $10,000 a year. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out how quickly they pay that bill.

Well, just sharing the stuff I learned today. Let me know your opinions on all this.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)