AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Leveling the toolbar on a DB60 JD planter
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

John Burns
Posted 3/24/2008 22:49 (#341166)
Subject: Leveling the toolbar on a DB60 JD planter

Pittsburg, Kansas

Got the new to us DB60 36 row 20" planter in the field today. Should start planting tomorrow. One thing we noticed is it looks like the planter units are nose down and the parallel linkage is at an angle that indicates the toolbar is too high. This indicates to me the tongue needs to be raised. This would rock the units back more vertical and since the toolbar is some ways behind the transport wheels should lower the toolbar also.

We have one set of holes in the tongue left to change tongue height and it looks like it will not be enough to level the planter out. We are pulling it with a Challenger 755 and all the track tractors we have tend to have drawbars that are lower to the ground than similar sized wheel tractors.

The DB planter bars use a cylinder right behind the tractor drawbar that raises a paralell linkage mechanism to raise the front of the planter tongue into transport position. What I was wondering, could a person put some stroke control segments on this cylinder shaft so the cylinder would not retract all the way and have the effect of raising the drawbar of the planter so the units would run level? I don't see any way it would hurt anything, the draft of the tractor would be pulling/resting with the stroke control segments holding the cylinder slightly extended by maybe a couple inches. This looks like the simplest solution. The only other somewhat simple solution I can see is getting an offset drawbar for the tractor with the offset turned up. Don't even know if they make such a thing for the MT's.

Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it by limiting the retraction of the front transport cylinder? Thanks.

John 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)