AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Feature request for EZ-Guides when mistblowing
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

GinNB
Posted 3/18/2008 15:35 (#336810)
Subject: Feature request for EZ-Guides when mistblowing

Well, as long as we're thinking about feature requests, I've got one for the Trimble EZ-Guides (or any brand, but I've got a Trimble EZG+). 

I have never yet seen a mapping guidance system that would show proper coverage for a mist blower, which blows to the side of the tractor starting at the downwind tire and always downwind, so it alternates from side to side as you turn at the field edges.  You can input the width now, and an offset if you get fancy, but you'd have to change it to the opposite side of the tractor after every swath when you rotate the cannon.  To automate the swath flipping on the map display all of the previous ideas I'd heard from guidance reps involved complicated sensors mounted on each side of the cannon housing to detect which way the cannon was pointing as well as making the receiver read these sensors to make the change. 

Too expensive and complicated for a limited market I guess.

I'd love an accurate map because, without a guidance system with a coverage map, if the wind changes (during the spraying, between tanks, or if I have to finish it the next day) I have no accurate way to tell what I've already sprayed.  Once the AB is reset, I have to start looking for tiretracks 100' away from the cab.  I've started using a Garmin handheld in the cab to show my tracks if the wind changes, but they're not hideously accurate at the best of times, let alone when you start using them from inside a moving tractor.  An external antenna helps but still isn't a substitute for a proper mapping system. 

My idea?  INPUT WIND DIRECTION AT THE START OF THE FIELD!  That would make it easy for the software to show the theoretical coverage for each swath.  Have a custom AB pattern called ABMist and, before setting the A point, ask for which side of the tractor the wind's coming from. 

Anybody else have a better idea, or better yet know of a system that exists now that'll map a mistblowing pattern??  I'll attach a pic to show people what pattern is needed, but you'll have to visualize an AB pattern with the mist shut off between AB lines when driving up the headlands.

(mistblowing_smaller.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments mistblowing_smaller.jpg (99KB - 129 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)